Why should you sign up for a premium membership?
- Full access to Bernie’s columns. Bernie will still post free columns on occasion, but most of his pieces moving forward will require a premium membership.
- No more annoying ads on Bernie’s columns! We know you won’t miss those.
- Participation in Bernie’s weekly Q&A session (Premium Interactive members only). See below for details.
Premium memberships (managed by Patreon) start at just $2 a month (and you can cancel any time). As Sally Struthers used to say, that’s less than the price of a cup of coffee!
Types of memberships:
- Premium Reader ($2 a month) — Ad-free access to Bernie’s columns.
- Premium Interactive ($4 a month) – Ad-free access to Bernie’s columns AND participation in his weekly Q&A session, where you get to submit your questions to Bernie, and then read his answers. Feel free to ask Bernie about anything in the realm of politics, the news media, his career, and American culture. Moderators reserve the right to reject derogatory or duplicate questions.
Sound like fun? We’d love for you to join us.
Below is a FAQ to hopefully answer any questions you may have about Premium Memberships.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why have you changed to a pay site?
To be clear, most of the website will remain free, including Bernie’s old columns and all contributor columns (the old ones and the new ones). Participation in the comment section will also remain free. It’s Bernie’s new columns that will require a membership.
We’ve been discussing this change for quite some time. Truth be told, this website has never been focused on revenue. Unlike other political websites, we’ve never sought investors or wealthy donors (nor do we intend to). We believe in honest, independent, agenda-free commentary, without anyone else calling the shots. And with the reader in mind, we’ve also kept the number of web-ads to a minimum (no pop-up windows, redirects, etc). Thus, our ad-revenue has always been on the modest side.
That being said, there are increasing costs associated with maintaining a website such as this, as well as the time investments of those who write for it. Rather than increasing the number of ads (something we want to avoid), we decided on putting together a premium membership, with the result being a better reader experience and stronger interaction with Bernie.
If I sign up, will this website have my credit card information?
No. Absolutely not. Nor we will have your contact information. Patreon will manage the membership completely, including the monthly payments (which can be cancelled through Patreon at any time).
What is Patreon?
Patreon is a very secure, highly-respected website that manages membership platforms for content creators (like Bernie). You can find Bernie’s Patreon page (and sign up for your membership) here. Bernie’s columns will still be posted on his website (just like they’ve always been). You’ll just need to be logged into Patreon in order to access those columns (the site keeps you logged in unless you decide to logout).
Will Patreon charge my credit card automatically each month?
Yes, but again, you can cancel at any time.
If I cancel my membership, can I sign up again later?
If I’m a Premium Interactive member, how do I send you questions for the weekly Q&A?
Either click on the “Premium Q&A” menu item above, and follow the instructions, OR just click here.
I’m a Premium Member, but when I try to read Bernie’s column on this website, I get a message saying that I’m not signed up. What gives?
There are one of two explanations for this:
- You’re not logged in to your Patreon account. If that’s the case, click on the “Unlock with Patreon” button and then click on the “Log In” link (top of the page).
- You’re logged in, but you’re trying to access a page that requires a higher tier membership. For example, if you’re a Premium Reader (the $2 membership), you won’t be able to read Bernie’s Q&A sessions which require a Premium Interactive membership (the $4 tier).
Can I upgrade from a Premium Reader ($2) membership to a Premium Interactive ($4) membership?
Absolutely. Just go to Bernie’s Patreon page, and select the $4 pledge (right side of the screen).
When I try to sign up for Bernie’s membership, I get a “spinning wheel” that never goes away. What’s going on?
It sounds like you have an older web-browser (one that Patreon may not be compatible with). Try upgrading to a newer version of your web-browser, and then try to sign up again.