It is hard to fathom, but there are Americans who believe that if the USA cuts and runs from Iraq, there will be no negative consequences. The far left is banging the “get out now” drum but, fortunately, the beat is not exactly catching on. While last week’s peace demonstration in Washington drew a decent crowd, it was certainly not overwhelming. And few politicians showed up. Instead we heard the noted political scientist Jessica Lange call for U.S. troops to withdraw or she’ll be mad.
Cindy Sheehan was there, of course. Her latest analysis is that the attack on 9/11 wasn’t an act of war, it was a “crime.” And the USA was mean to disrupt the lives of the Afghan people by removing the Taliban. Cindy wants everybody to get along; she doesn’t believe there is a worldwide terror war, and even if there is, we started it.
By the way, I told you in this space a few weeks ago that President Bush would be crazy to meet with Cindy Sheehan because right after the meeting, she’d run out and bad mouth him to the press. Well, Senator John McCain did take the time to meet with Ms. Sheehan, who then promptly called McCain a “war-monger.”
A new Rasmussen poll says 54% of Americans understand that if America cuts and runs from Iraq, that country will descend into chaos. Just 20% believe Iraq would be better off if we split. I’ll bet Jane Fonda is one of those 20%, and boy would I like to ask her this question: “You know, Ms. Fonda, after the USA pulled out of Southeast Asia in the mid-70’s, the communists slaughtered about three million human beings in Cambodia and South Vietnam. Did you ever mention that in your subsequent peace comments?”
It is hopeless to try to reason with far left or far right zealots on any matter, but, thankfully, most Americans reject extremes. Iraq might not be the best battlefield to conduct the war on terror, but here’s what would happen if America pulled out quickly.
- Iran would step into the security breech and back the Sh’ia in the fight against the Sunni insurgents. Thus, Iran would exert control in the southern half of Iraq and increase its power in the Gulf.
- Sensing weakness in America, Iran would harden its nuke position and accelerate developing nuclear weapons. Iran is already harboring and funding al Qaeda terrorists, so you can do the math on this scenario.
- The al Qaeda terrorists currently inside Iraq would transit through Iran into Afghanistan and begin to destabilize the new democratic government in that country. With experienced al Qaeda fighters undermining security, the Karzi government would come under siege and the USA would have to commit more forces to that country.
- Syria would step up its support of Hamas and Hezbollah which would lead to more violence inside Israel and Lebanon.
- And finally, the jihadists worldwide would proclaim a great victory over the great Satan. Terrorist funding and recruitment would skyrocket and the USA would be humiliated.
All of that is likely to come true if the far left has its way on Iraq. Their “vision” would put us all in danger.
The Bush administration must win the war in Iraq and then reexamine the most effective way to defeat worldwide terrorism. It has become clear that the terror state of Iran, not Saddam’s Iraq, was and is the USA’s most vicious enemy.
Jessica Lange may not get this but most Americans do. It is vital that we defeat those who would kill us, no matter where they are.