The Democratic Party will be on vivid display this week in Miami.
Two debates over two nights featuring twenty candidates for president and five moderators. Lots of folks bloviating with one common theme: Donald Trump is Satan.
NBC News is sponsoring the debate, and it should be quite a shootout. I say should because it likely will not be. NBC and its parent company Comcast have symbolically purchased a huge amount of land on the left side of the river and they are eagerly cultivating it.
For a responsible journalist this debate is wonderland. Here are just a few penetrating questions that could be asked.
- Senator Sanders, you said on CNN that as president you would try to put private health insurance companies out of business. Wouldn’t that be unconstitutional?
- Senator Gillibrand, you told the Des Moines Register that opposing abortion is similar to racism. Many Christians believe abortion is the taking of a human life. Are these Christians racist in your opinion?
- Senator Warren, you have called for the elimination of ICE. How would you deal with people who enter the USA illegally? Would there be any penalty? Please be specific.
- Vice President Biden, in 1975, you said quote: “I don’t feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather… and I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.” That’s a strong anti-reparations statement. Why did you say it?
- Mr. O’Rourke, you oppose all border barriers. But they have worked in San Diego and Yuma, Arizona, among other places. How would you stop millions of people from illegally crossing the southern border? Be specific please.
Those questions are just appetizers. The democrats on stage are so far left that grammar school kids could put them on the spot. Free health care, free college, “decent” housing, guarantees of jobs and income. It’s an entitlement festival in a country that currently owes $22 trillion dollars.
It is a national tragedy that the debate moderators will likely avoid scrutinizing their political soulmates with facts and incisive followup questions. Yes, Lester Holt and Chuck Todd might try to shake things up a little, but only a little.
After all, holding the democrats accountable for radical positions would help one Donald Trump.
And on the debate stage in Miami, there will be no sympathy for the devil. That is unless the Stones show up.